The European Commission said on Thursday that it had already requested information from Meta (META.O), TikTok, and X but had not yet opened official investigations into their attempts to remove dangerous content from their platforms.
“Nothing new has happened. The Commission sent formal requests for information to X, Meta, and TikTok. These should not be mistaken for the possible beginning of legal action,” an email from the Commission’s spokeswoman to Reuters stated.
Earlier, in an interview with France Inter, Thierry Breton, the EU’s head of industry, said he had started looking at three internet platforms, including X.
A representative for TikTok said on Thursday that the business received the request for information (RFI) last week and stated that it plans to reply in full.
Following the Hamas attack on Israel, there has been an increase in damaging content and misinformation, which has put digital companies under increasing scrutiny in recent weeks.
Large online retailers and search engines must take more action against unlawful content, threats to public safety, and manipulation of their services per the EU’s comprehensive Digital Services Act.